Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mission Accomplished!

Last night I had a very important and very difficult task to accomplish.  Nothing to cook for dinner, and literally $9.00 in my bank account.   While at work I did a mental inventory of the pantry and remembered that we had small corn tortillas, a can of refried beans, and a can of green enchilada sauce.  Then I mentally perused the fridge... lettuce, a few grape tomatoes, half of an onion and pickled jalapenos. 

The menu for the night hit me like a ton of bricks. TOSTADAS!!  I knew I couldn't just stop with the ingredients we had on hand.  After all, I don't know the last time my husband actually went vegetarian and walked away feeling satisfied.  I had to get a protein.  But depending on what I get, there goes most of my teeny, tiny bank account.  Think.... think.... Ah ha! Chicken tortilla soup!  I bought a 16 oz tub from the grocery store for $4, a lime for $.35, and two avocados at $.88 each.  Homemade tostadas and store bought chicken tortilla soup.  I'm a genius.  In my own mind.

I jazzed the beans up by adding lime zest, chili powder, garlic powder and minced pickled jalapenos.  I fried the corn tortillas in a bit of Veg oil and used the enchilada sauce to drizzle on top.  The whole thing turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.  We only needed one avocado for our tostadas and I used the second one to make guacamole for my baby boy to eat with us at the table.

For his I just mash the avocado, add diced tomatoes (which he can pick up with this fingers), a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder.  He can't get enough!

My mission was complete.  Hubby was happy and fulfilled, baby was in green goo heaven and I was pleased with my resourcefulness.  Now if only I can harness my photographic "kitchen memory" into something more useful....


No comments:

Post a Comment