Monday, June 4, 2012

Sick as dogs!

Where does that phrase even come from?  Why do we say we are "sick as dogs" anyways?  Why do dogs get the bad wrap?  I'm so glad you asked!  (You did ask... didn't you?)  I did a little research and here is what I found out:

"Sick as a dog," which means "extremely sick" and dates back to at least the 17th century, is also not so much negative as it is simply descriptive. Anyone who knows dogs knows that while they can and often will eat absolutely anything, on those occasions when their diet disagrees with them the results can be quite dramatic. And while Americans may consider themselves "sick" when they have a bad cold, in Britain that would be called "feeling ill." "Being sick" in Britain usually means "to vomit."

So to really appreciate the original sense of "sick as a dog," imagine yourself seated in the parlor having tea with the Vicar on a lovely Sunday afternoon, when Fido staggers in from a meal of sun-dried woodchuck and expresses his unease all over your heirloom oriental carpet. It's actually rather amazing that goldfish aren't more popular.  

Isn't your day complete now?  Don't you feel like your Monday has now taken on a whole new meaning and you can finish it off with gusto!  Glad I could be of assistance. 

Now where was I... Oh yeah!  Sick as dogs!!!  It was a looooong weekend.  Not in the fun, vacation sort of way but rather the whole-family-is-sick-and-feeling-miserable sort of way. :(  Hubby had a 102.0 fever and body aches Thursday night and into Friday.  He was back to normal by Saturday (which may or may not have had something to do with his scheduled golf game with Dad and bro for his birthday).  But he was left with killer sinus pressure and headaches for the remainder of the weekend.  Poor birthday boy! 

I caught a gnarly sinus/cold/coughing thingy that has left me feeling more run down and exhausted on top of my morning sickness and pregnancy exhaustion I was already suffering from.  Then there is my precious little Baby Boy.  High fever and throwing up all weekend.  I mean seriously!!  This kid cannot catch a break!  It seems like it is always something... 

Good news is we are all on the mend.  Still not 100% but much, much better than the past two days.  I was determined to not be too sick for today because in about 5 minutes I am off to the doctor's for my 8 week check up!!  I cannot wait to see the baby "spot" on the screen and to hear that everything is healthy and on track.  At least that is what I am praying and hoping for.  Please keep my little family in your thoughts and I will look forward to updating everyone soon!

I hope you all had a better weekend than I did.  Did you do anything fun?  If so, please share!  I would love to live vicariously through you and your awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment