Monday, October 6, 2014

Weekend Wrap-up

We had such a fun weekend! A very dear friend of mine and her family host an annual Pig Roast where you camp out while the pig cooks, then the next day everyone feasts like a king! It is such an awesome event and while the pig should be the star of the show, in my opinion, it's the time spent with really great people where the laughter is thick and you just don't want it to end!

Hubs is such a stud!
This was a "no kids party" for the Hubs and I. We made arrangements for them to go to my parents Friday night while we set out on our annual pilgrimage to the fields of Longmont, CO. We pitched our tent and got right into the good times. Fun fact: The temps Friday night drifted down to freezing! Thank goodness we have the proper gear.

So, Friday night the Patriarch of this lovely family and our host for the weekend, spoiled us with homemade green chili, homemade refried beans and homemade Spanish rice. It was AMAZING! Then we all made our way around the campfire for a fun game called "Psychiatrist." Have you ever played that? It is a hoot!


Dancing Queen!
Of course there was signing along to classic songs (Sweeeet, Car-OH-line. BAH, BAH, BAH) and even a bit of campfire dancing! Seriously a great time. I made my way to bed in the wee hours of the morning and lets just say, I was draggin' my wagon the next day for sure!

Saturday everyone played corn-hole, and another great game called "Beerski." Since we had to leave that afternoon, we didn't partake in any libations on day 2. Being responsible is no fun. But after the game playing it was time to FEAST! The pork was so tender and flavorful and all the fixins to go along with it were perfect.

Goofing off with my man


People can stay another night if they are so inclined but we headed back into town to get our kids. They were exhausted from a super fun time with the grands and we were exhausted from partying like it was 1999 and forgetting how recovery time lasts much longer than when we were younger. Facts are facts.

Sunday the kids slept until about 7:20am. Can I get a hallelujah?!? After breakfast I wanted to get some exercise in and I took the kids out in the double stroller for a 3 mile walk and a pit-stop at the park for some playground action.

While we were playing at the park, one of the tires on the jogging stroller went flat and I had to make the kids walk about a half a mile, up a hill to get ourselves home. I practically had to lift up the back of the stroller to get it to move and by the time I made it home my back was definitely sore.

I took it easy the rest of the day and while the kids napped we took in a great Broncos game... Peyton Mannings 500th touchdown! And then I even whipped up a batch of these bad boys and they turned out great! I highly recommend the recipe.

It truly was a great weekend and I'm still not fully recovered from all of the fun!

How was your weekend? Did you do anything noteworthy? 

2 comments:

  1. Some very important things:
    1. I love nights away from the kiddos to really live it up but you are right, you really pay for it the next day. The next 3 days.
    2. Those pumpkin bars look AMAZING. I am pinning them right now! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pumpkin bars are sooooo good! And better yet, they're super easy!

      Delete