Thursday, March 12, 2015

Full circle

A year ago today, I wrote this post. I cannot believe that it has been a full year since I lost my last job.

I have this to say about the whole ordeal... it changed me. Plain and simple. I'm a completely different person today than I was a year ago. The whole experience taught me how naive and clueless I was about life outside of my tiny "work bubble" that I had become so comfortable in for seven long years.

The way it went down does haunt me from time-to-time. I have dreams about the past... the position, the people. It definitely still fills some negative space in my head and I'm hopeful that the farther down my new path I go, the more and more the hurtful parts will fade.

I have grown more confident coming out of this experience. More confident in my own skin and more willing to be my authentic self in the workplace. I'm also loving being a little sponge soaking up as much knowledge as I can. My current role is exciting and challenging and I'm having to overcome hurdles in creative and collaborative ways. I have a new mentor who I absolutely love and cherish, I get to workout on my lunch breaks, I get to attend Women in Business lunches and the networking potential here is huge!

I've been able to put my name on some really great projects and I can clearly see opportunities for growth and advancement where I am today. I'm thriving. I said goodbye to a place that was suffocating and negative and I now find myself with a renewed energy and love of what I do.

Being unemployed was the most humbling experience of my life. Even a year later I'm reminded of it constantly as we financially get back on our feet from it all. But we're close. Man, are we close.

The future is looking good and I can't wait to see where my journey will take me next!

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment